Why not have a fancy dress party based on Comedy?
This day in 1977 Groucho Marx died. He was possibly the best known of the legendary Marx Brothers and unlike some comedians of his generation, his humour has not dated and his ‘one-liner’ witticisms are still widely quoted and celebrated. Given that this is also the day that British comedian Alistair Sim died in 1976, you might choose to work an event around a celebration of comedy talent. On the other hand, given that one of the Marx Brothers’ best known films was ‘A Day at the Races’ and we are now between the end of the Olympics and the start of the Paralympics, you might want to devise an ‘On Your Marx’ sports/gaming event involving less serious games such as the ‘shaving foam and cheese puff’ game. This is where one person wears a beard of foam in which to ‘catch’ wotsit-style puffs thrown by a team-mate. Other silly games are available, and of course, it looks better if done in costume!
Now, it can be argued that any fancy dress costume is funny, and it is,to be honest, but there are some costume ideas that are based purely on comedy.
So looking at comedy, or funny costumes, what suggestions do we have?
- Little Britain Characters
- ‘Ello ‘Ello – French Maid costumes, RAF uniforms
- Only Fools & Horses – Del Boy & Rodney masks are available
- Blackadder – a huge choice of costumes – check out our page dedicated to Blackadder costume ideas
- Mr Bean
- Monty Python
- Carry On…. check out our dedicated page to Carry On costume ideas
- The Royale Family – you could play around with this one and attend the party as are own Royal Family masks are available
- The Inbetweeners – wear school uniform
- The Young Ones
- Laurel & Hardy
- Dawn French - easiest to portray her as The Vicar of Dibley
- Jim Carrey – many characters to chose from
- Charlie Chaplin
- We also stock lots of famous comedians in our range of famous people masks