Today’s fancy dress theme is all about music videos. Over the years there have been some iconic videos made to accompany songs with some fantastic (and some truly weird) costumes. So why not base an entire fancy dress party exactly on these videos? You could have the iconic videos playing all night, providing the music as well.
Here are just some of the music videos we think would make a good costume opportunity…
- Madonna – Vogue – 20 & 30s glamour & Georgian (Marie Antoinette)
- Adam Ant – Stand & Deliver – Dick Turpin costume
- The Bangles – Walk Like An Egyptian – Cleopatra costume
- Michael Jackson – Thriller – Zombie Costumes
- Madonna – Papa Don’t Preach / Like a Virgin – Bride Costume
- Britney Spears – Baby One More Time – Schoolgirl outfits
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show – wear any of the Rocky Horror costumes
- Boy George
- Bryan Adams – Everything I Do, I Do It For You – Robin Hood outfits
- Survivor – Eye Of The Tiger -Boxer costumes
31 years ago today MTV opened with ‘Video Killed The Radio Star’ and changed the face of pop music as we know it. Of course nowadays, the pop promo video has ceased to be so much a staple of TV entertainment (MTV is no longer end-to-end pop music) and has moved into the mainstream, with the world and his wife (and their dog) being able to put stuff up on YouTube and the like. A recent development relevant to costuming is the cosplay compilation video in which attendees of events such as a ComicCon or Sci-Fi/Fantasy Fan event are involved in lip-synching to a well-known tune. (For a sample see ‘It’s My Life’ at http://www.youtube.com/user/CosplayFeverBook (but you can skip the first 45 seconds)).