Why is dressing up in a fancy dress costume still so popular? I think one of the reasons is that nowadays, we really do not ‘dress up’ for much, with everything being ‘smart casual’. Fancy dress gives us all a chance to step outside of our day to day lives, and become someone, or something else.
Main reason fancy dress works:
- Creates a great atmosphere straight away
- Allows guests to circulate away from their own small group – great for work networking, engagements & weddings.
- Everyone laughs all night long
- Cheaper than going out and purchasing an entire new outfit
- Great Pictures, great memories
We are now asked for fancy dress costumes, or accessories for all manner of things including:
- Dressing up days at school for children, teachers and parent helpers
- Stag Nights
- Hen Nights – look at our large range of hen night novelties
- Weddings – Medieval / Tudor remaining the top wedding themes
- Wedding Proposals
- Work Networking/ Team Building
Dressing up in a fancy dress costume is definitely more popular than it ever has been Today, ‘just up the road’ (well, Cambridge actually) we have CamCon, one of the new fan conventions generated by the rising trend of enthusiasm for ‘cosplay’. This is ‘dressing-up’ but with reference to the Japanese comic-book styles of manga and anime and the wider field of video and on-line gaming. As we were saying recently in connection with some ‘Assassin’s Creed’ costumes we had seen, here at Props & Frocks we have enough fun dealing with the complexities of day-to-day mainstream costuming without getting too involved in these more specialist areas. However, as CamCon and other such events demonstrate, there is a loyal and dedicated fan-base in this growth area. Because of the increasing amount of ‘cross-over’, chances are we may find ourselves becoming more involved as people look to seek out costumes of suitable quality, to match their requirements.