Today, we are having a Beatles Fancy Dress as the next couple of days are important ones in relation to the Beatles – the well-known and popular beat-combo of the 1960s. Whilst Lennon & McCartney first met and started their collaboration in writing songs around this date in 1957, July 6th saw the premiere of the Beatles’ innovative first feature film ‘’A Hard Day’s Night’. Shot in black and white (even though colour was very much ‘the norm’ by then), the film worked around the concept of a normal day in the lads’ lives as they travel to Birmingham to record a TV show. Aside from the Beatles themselves, the film featured other comedy talent of the time and a good number of the tunes now so familiar to us all. With it being Ringo Starr’s 71st birthday tomorrow – he has just launched a tour with a new band – this is obviously a good time for a celebration of the Beatles and/or the 1960s.
So you could go for a standard 60s costume party, and we have a huge selection of 60s fancy dress costumes to choose from, or you could stick to a pure Beatles theme. Now a lot of people do say that this is very limiting, but when you start to look at the Beatles, you do have a lot of choice from song titles to album covers. We give lots of great Beatles costume ideas on this blog
We recommend a Beatles Fancy Dress party as it was on or around this day in 1970 (depends which chart you look at) the Beatles came to the end of their run of number one hits in America, with, appropriately, The Long and Winding Road. Although there have since been re-releases and re-masters, this was their original last hurrah before they went their separate ways (and for some, continued success either on their own or with other groups). Later this week, on June 18th, we have the birthday of Paul McCartney (born 1942) so now could be as good a time as any to work on an event based around the Beatles. Aside from the obvious sixties party, (we have a huge choice of 60s fancy dress costumes to choose from) another popular idea is to come as someone from the Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band album Cover. Aside from the Beatles themselves, other famous people included, Marilyn Monroe, Charlie Chaplin, Mae West, Fred Astaire, Max Miller, Laurel & Hardy, Albert Einstein, Jonny Weissmuller (Tarzan), Marlene Dietrich and T.E. Lawrence. Alternatively, you might want to go down the road (not necessarily a long and winding one!) of Beatles Song Titles. To help you with a few suggestions, we would draw your attention to our song titles theme information sheet, one of the many resources available from us here at Props n Frocks.
Here are just a few Beatle Song Titles that you may be able to use…
- A Taste Of Honey – Wear a Bumble Bee outfit or Winnie The Pooh style costume
- Act Naturally – Wear a nude suit – if you dare to bare!
- Back In the USSR – Russian outfits
- Chains – cover yourself in chains, look at these great jumbo chains, very lightweight
- Carol – Wear a Victorian Carole Singer’s costume
- Devil In Her Heart – Wear a Devil Costume with a heart
- Doctor Robert – Doctors Costume with Robert as a name
- Drive My Car – wear A chauffeur’s Costume – just a hat with a suit will do
- Flying – any costume related to flying including Top Gun & RAF costumes
- Her Majesty – Wear a Queen costume
- Lady Madonna – Wear a Madonna Costume
- Mr Moonlight – Possibly a Vampire of Werewolf costume
Well, there is just some to give you inspiration…