Last week we mentioned the Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Andersen in connection with a Fairy Tales fancy dress theme. As World Book Day is this Thursday we thought we might look at these in more detail.
There are some children who find it ‘cool’ to dress as fairy tale characters, whilst others are of an age where it is just not the done thing. With a total of four Snow White films due out this year (one only two weeks away and two going straight to video) we are anticipating that 2012 will not see just the kids wanting to dress up in Fairy Tale Costumes. So, for today we thought we would give you a run-down of our most Popular Fairy Tale requests. We have included both male and female counterparts where appropriate.
- Beauty & the Beast
- Cinderella, Prince Charming, Ugly Sisters and Wicked Stepmother
- Goldilocks & the Three Bears
- Puss in Boots, Princess, King, Marquis
- Red Riding Hood & Granny/Wolf
- Snow White & the Seven Dwarves – Wicked Queen, Prince Charming, Woodcutter
- Shrek & Princess Fiona – a more modern take on the classic fairytale!
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Alice, Mad Hatter, White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts
- Dick Whittington & his cat
- Hansel & Gretel
- The Little Mermaid, Sea King, Prince & Sea witch
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion & Scarecrow – take a look at all of our Wizard of Oz costumes
Our range of Fairytale costumes is growing monthly, and we have some exciting new costumes that are going to make our fairytale costumes fantastic, so watch this space!
Today we are promoting couples fancy dress ideas as on this day in 1937, the Margaret Mitchell novel ‘Gone With The Wind’ won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction, joining an elite group of ‘one-hit wonder’ literary classics (‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ is another). Nowadays, it’s probably fair to say that most people are familiar with the GWTW story through the film (which itself won 8 Oscars and made British actress Vivien Leigh an international star) and the resulting ‘homages’ – we did hear of a ‘Frankly My Deer Park‘, but cannot find whether it actually exists. The Gone With The Wind pairing of Scarlett O’Hara and Rhett Butler (or any other couple costumes) forms the potential costume theme for today.
Now you probably have single friends as well ‘couple’ friends, so it would be unfair to have a purely couples fancy dress party. Why not write down a list of all the couples fancy dress costumes that you can think of (they do not need to be male and female based) and then at some point in the evening, your guests have to find their relevant partner costume – a great way to get your guests to mix. The only down side is that your guests may feel restricted if you actually allocate them a costume, so it is better to let them decide who they will dress up as, and this will leave the actual pairings a bit more to chance and has the potential for some laughs.
Some examples of couples fancy dress costumes include:
- Bill, Ben (& weed) – ideal unisex costumes
- Woody, Buzz Lightyear, Jessie, Mr Potato Head – all the Toy Story Costumes
- Laurel & Hardy
- Blues Brothers
- Cleopatra & Caesar or Mark Anthony
- Gangster & Gangster’s Moll
- Cowboy, Saloon Girl, Indian, Sheriff, Outlaw – take a look at all of our western costumes
- Romeo & Juliet
- Henry VIII & 1 of his wives
- Fred & Wilma Flintstone
- Barney & Betty Rubble
- Gomez, Morticia, Uncle Fester, Wednesday – any of The Addams Family
- Policewoman & Convict
- Noddy & Big Ears
- Freddy Krueger & Miss Krueger
- Princess Leia & Darth Vader, and the other Star Wars costumes
- Alice in Wonderland & Mad Hatter, March Hare, White Rabbit, Queen of Hearts
- Red Riding Hood & Wolf
- Snow white, 7 Dwarfs, Prince Charming, Wicked Queen
- Cinderella, Prince Charming, Ugly Sisters
- Batman & Robin, The Joker, Riddler
- Supergirl & Superman
- Andy Pandy & Loopy Lou
- Neo & Trinity – Matrix Costumes
- Scooby Doo & rest of the gang
- Dorothy & Scarecrow, Wicked witch of The West, Cowardly Lion, Tin Man,
- Sandy & Danny from Grease
- Robin Hood & Maid Marion (& Friar Tuck, Merry Men etc…)
- Doctors & Nurse
- Peter Pan, Captain Hook, Tinkerbell
- Belly Dancer & Arab
- Santa & Miss Christmas or Elf
- Devil & Angel
- Ringmaster & Clown
- Jack Sparrow & Elizabeth Swann
- Vicar & tart (or other religious costumes)
- Dead Bride & Groom
- Dracula & Dracula’s Bride
- Penelope Pitstop & Dick Darstardly
- Popeye & Olve Oyl
- Arwen & Gandalf
- King Arthur, Lancelot, Guinevere, Merlin
- Minnie & Mickey Mouse
- Beauty & The Beast
- Mr & Mrs Incredible
Today’s blog is all about costume ideas for romantic couples. Now, we get asked all the time for couples costumes and it can be harder than you think to get 2 people in costumes that they both like and fit them both equally.
On 23rd March 1990, in the US the film ‘Pretty Woman’ premiered (it was released June 1st in Britain). A variation on the Cinderella story, it tells of a ruthless businessman (Richard Gere) who hires a street-girl (Julia Roberts) as an escort but ends up falling for her (bit of a spoiler there, but most people know the Cinderella story anyway). The film was Roberts’ breakthrough role and although she has not been as active in the movies recently, we are told she is soon to play the Wicked Stepmother in a remake of Snow White – Pretty Woman to Wicked Queen-cum-Old Crone in twenty-one years.
Anyway, under the circumstances we thought a good suggestion for today’s theme would be ‘Romantic Couples’. Aside from Cinderella and her Prince Charming, we have other fairytale and storybook characters including Shrek and Princess Fiona, King and Queen of Hearts, or what about looking at our historical costumes such as Romeo and Juliet, Robin Hood and Maid Marion or Cleopatra and Caesar (or Mark Anthony).
We have written some other blogs with loads of couple fancy dress ideas, take a look, and live happily ever after…
For February 22nd we get up close and personal with our ‘Couples fancy dress theme’ as today celebrates the 125th anniversary since the first appearance of a personal column in the Times newspaper. Of course the personal column has many functions, one of the main ones being the ‘lonely hearts’ search for a soul-mate. The trick here is to sum yourself up in a few concise sentences with the help of a ‘shorthand’ that pre-dates text-speak by years, a ‘gsoh’ (good sense of humour) often being a requirement. Of course the object of dressing-up (or ‘cosplaying’, as some now call it) is to seize the opportunity to adopt an alter-ego and be someone/thing else for a change, but a gsoh can still help. So even if you are taking the chance to make a good first impression as someone completely different (so you can have a second chance as your real self later), come and see us here at Props n Frocks, where we have been known to make quite an impression ourselves.
Having a ‘couples ‘ Fancy Dress Theme is okay if you have lots of couples who are your friends. However, if you are planning a fancy dress party, why not ban any couples actually attending as a couple (as in a pair of costumes such as Batman & Robin) and throughout the night, your guests have to see if they can find a couple for their costume? A great idea if you have loads of single friends, but also a great way to get your friends to mix and get chatting.
Okay, for all of you who actually want to go to a fancy dress party as a couple, you are not forgotten, we will give you some couples costume ideas…
- Scarlett O’Hara & Rhett Butler – Gone With The Wind
- Batman & Robin (or The Joker, or any other Villain)
- Morticia & Gomez Addams (or Uncle Fester or Wednesday)
- Freddy Krueger & Miss Krueger
- Hansel & Gretel
- Bill & Ben
- Noddy & Big Ears
- Doctors & Nurses
- Nun & Vicar (or other religious costumes)
- Cleopatra & Mark Antony, or Caesar
- Cowboy & Indian squaw, or saloon girl
- Gangster & Charleston (Moll)
- Robin Hood & Maid Marion
- Henry VII & one of his wives
- Santa & Mrs Christmas, or Miss Xmas or Elf
- Superman & Supergirl
- American GI Man & Lady
- Captain & Sailor Girl
- Alice & the Mad Hatter
- Andy Pandy & Loppy Loo
Today’s fancy dress theme is ‘Fairytale’. How did we reach that decision today? Well read through the blog and it will all
Ladies Red Riding Hood Outfit
become black and white!
On November 28th in 1948, the first ‘Land’ Polaroid camera went on sale. At a time when photography was becoming more popular (but still involved waiting to have films developed before you could see the results), a camera that actually developed the picture inside itself and gave you an ‘instant’ print within several minutes was a remarkable invention. Both the cameras and the film were more expensive than their more conventional equivalents, but the Polaroid carved a niche for itself and has only just ceased production, although digital Polaroid cameras continue to exist. The theme for today ‘One Day My Prints Will Come!” (or should that be Prince?). Okay, we thought that may be a bit difficult, so we have broadened it out to ‘Fairytale’. The Fairytale theme of course, allows you to find yourself a Prince Charming, or even a frog!
As far as a range of costumes for this theme, you really will be spoilt for choice. It is a great theme for couples fancy dress ideas, a few couple costumes that we suggest are:
- Red Riding Hood & the Wolf. We stock some lovely Red Riding Hood costumes and a fantastic Granny Wolf Costume
- Snow White & Dwarf or Wicked Queen, or Prince Charming
- Cinderella & Ugly Sister(s) or Prince Charming
- Hansel & Gretal
- Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Alice Costume & Mad Hatter or Queen of Hearts, or White Rabbit
There are so many potential costumes for this theme, the above is just a very small selection. You do not need to attend the costume party as a couple, what about some of these costume ideas?
- The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – loads of costume choices here
- Tom Thumb
- 3 Little Pigs
- Robin Hood Costumes
- Puss in Boots – ladies wear cat accessories and a killer pair of boots1
- Peter Pan
- Little Match girl
- The Little Mermaid
Okay, that will do for today, but, this is one of those themes where the costume ideas just keep on coming. Why not let us know what you wore at your last Fairytale Fancy Dress party?
Today, we are suggesting that you have a ‘romantic couples’ fancy dress theme. As regular readers of this blog will know, we
Robin Hood & Maid Marion
try and see what has happened on this date in history to give you inspiration for your next costume theme. The cartoonist Charles Schulz, creator of ‘Peanuts’, was born on November 26th 1922. As we celebrated the Peanuts characters a few weeks back and although there was an unrequited ‘thing’ between Charlie Brown and the ‘Little Red-Haired Girl’, today we celebrate two of the most romantic films of all time. ‘Casablanca’ (1942 – US) and ‘Brief Encounter’ (1945 – UK) both had premieres on this day. As both films are set in the 1940s – not some people’s favourite era for obvious reasons – costuming for these specific films may be a problem, but this is an opportunity for a Romantic Couples event (even if things did not work as romantically as Rick had planned in ‘Casablanca’, he’ll always have Paris!)
As always, we welcome the couples costumes that you have worn in the past to a romantic couples fancy dress party – it really helps our other readers.
This is a huge theme and the costume list endless, but we have a short list of couples fancy dress ideas below:
- Pretty Woman – an easy pair. The ladies wear a pretty 80′s style costume and the men can get away with wearing a dinner suit.
- Cleopatra & Mark Antony – we stock a lovely Queen of The Nile that is ideal for a Cleopatra costume and a range of Roman soldier costumes that are suitable for a Mark Antony outfit
- Scarlett O’Hara & Rhett Butler – use one of our lovely Southern Belle costumes for Scarlett
- Nelson & Josephine
- Henry VIII & one of his doomed wives!
- Romeo & Juliet – we stock a lovely Juliet style costume
- Queen Victoria & Prince Albert
Go on, we are sure that you can think of many more than that!
Halloween in the UK grows every year, with more and more people dressing up in fancy dress and having a costume party. Although, we do find October is a very busy year for all types of fancy dress, the UK still tends to favour a traditional horror costume to wear on October 31st, unlike our American cousins, who will wear any type of costume.
Miss Kruegar - Sexy Halloween Costume
It can be nice to go to the costume party as a couple with your ‘significant other’, but it can be difficult to get some great costume ideas for couples. It is also more difficult as you have to find a couple that both parties like and the size fits.
So what couple outfits suitable for Halloween are there? Listed below is just a few suggestions. If you take a look at our huge range of adult Halloween costumes, we are sure that you will spoilt for choice.
- Mortica & Gomez Addams (or Wednesday Addams or Fester). A standard Gangster costume is suitable for Gomez. Take a look at our range of Addams Family Costumes
- Witch & Wizard Costumes. we have a large range of ladies witch costumes to suit all figures and budgets.
- Freddy Kruegar & Miss Kruegar. Miss Kruegar is a relatively new addition to our halloween costume range and has been introduced as a ladies sexy Halloween costume, but also with a view that it can be used as a couple with Freddy Kruegar.
- Dracula & Dracula’s Bride. Dracula is THE traditional Halloween costume. We stock all the accessories you need to create a fabulous Dracula outfit including Capes, Fangs, medallions and fake blood. A Dracula’s Bride costume can be created from any ghostly or gothic costume. Just add a couple of bite marks to your neck, vampire teeth and some fake blood. Some ladies Ghostly Bride costumes will include veils and even bouquets.
- Devil Costumes – There is a large selection of Devil costumes on the market, so it is easy to create a male and female version. There are is also a huge range of Devil accessories that you can purchase and this is one costume you may be able to put together yourself at home.
- Horror Doctor & Nurse. There are a selection of horror Doctor costumes and nurses costumes on the market. If you only have a standard costume, just cover it with some fake blood. Pleae Note: Fake blood will stainlight coloured outfits.