Today’s fancy dress theme is based on a momentous day in the annals of sci-fi TV, as on this date in 1963, the first episode of
Dr Who, featuring veteran actor William Hartnell, was aired on the BBC. The episode ‘An Unearthly Child’ featured a couple of teachers who, followed home one of their pupils, Susan, out of concern for her welfare find themselves getting more than they bargained for and being transported back to the Stone Age in the TARDIS. The fact that the episode was repeated the following week (in the days when repeats were rare) was down to both the impact the novelty series had, and the fact that President Kennedy had been assassinated on that same date, causing disruption to schedules. So our theme for the day is Great Moments in History.
This fancy dress theme will give you and your guests the chance to dress up in a huge range of costumes, from Nelson beating Napolean, to the first moon landing. What about Henry VIII marrying one of his many wives? You could look a past history, or to more recent times to get your costume inspiration.
Some other monumental historical dates include:
- Release of Nelson Mandela
- Start / end of any war – costume will depend on which war you have choosen
- Sinking of the Titanic – Edwardian costumes
- John Lennon’s / JFK assasination – wear a Beatles costume or JFK mask
- Vikings Invade Britain – Viking costumes
- Darwin’s Theory of Evolution – wear a victorian man costume
- Sir Francis Drake beats Spanish Armada – wear a Tudor man costume
So you can see, once you start thinking about it, there is such scope for this type of themed event. Whatever major event you decide on, be it the first Disney fully animated film release (Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs) to President Obama’s first presidential speech, Props n Frocks can help you with either costumes or accessories. You just need to ‘think outside of the box!’