Today’s fancy dress theme suggestion is the 80’s…Today we celebrate the birthday of Bo Derek, born in 1956. Some will say “Who?”, and it’s true that she has now somewhat faded from the star scene, but in her day she was one of the sex symbols of the 1980s. She was first seen in 1979 as Dudley Moore’s object of desire in ‘10’, (where she also started a brief craze for cornrow braided hairstyles). With a little help from her film director husband, she undertook other, sometimes ill-judged, projects designed to show off her talents including a version of Tarzan in which, as Jane, she ended up naked and painted white! The 1984 film ‘Bolero’ where she played the love interest to a matador and again managed to lose her clothes rather finished her film career, but she was an undoubted star of her times and in her honour, we’re suggesting 1980s as a theme.
Now, 1980s as a fancy dress theme is growing in momentum as the choice of 80s fancy dress outfits gets larger every year. although still not as popular as 60s and 70s themed events, it will no doubt become as popular in the years to come.
So what 80s fancy dress costumes can we offer you today? Well, you can get your costume inspiration from films, released in the 80’s. These include:
- A Nightmare on Elm Street – we stock a great range of Freddy Kruegar outfits. Two films were released in the 80s
- Airplane – We stock pilots hats. Two films were released inthe 80s
- An American Werewolf in London – we have a great range of werewolf accessories
- Batman – An iconic costume, which of course, we stock!
- Beetlejuice – We stock a great range of Beetlejuice costumes and accessories
- Blues Brothers – a great costume idea for a couple. We stock the blues brothers hats, glasses and ties.
- Friday The 13th – We stock the licensed Jason costumes and accessories to create this look
- Ghostbusters – a great idea for a group fancy dress costume
- Officer & a Gentleman – all the ladies love a man in a uniform, so now is a great chance to dress up like Richard Gere
You are certainly spoilt for choice for costumes based on films, the above is only a very small selection of what you could wear.
You could also look at the popstar route:
- Freddy Mercury – a pop / rock icon and sadly missed. We stock a Freddy Mercury style costume
- Michael Jackson – we stock the Thriller style costume as well as the military jacket and sequinned gloves to complete your outfit
- Madonna – Back in her ra-ra days. We stock a great costume, ideal for Madonna
What about looking at television series that were big in the 80’s? Below is a small selection that may give you some costume inspiration…
- The A Team – a new Mr T headpiece is available to purchase now (about time!)
- Black Adder – various histoircal eras to choose for this fantastic television series, we particularly like our Tudor man costume to wear for this character.
- Star Trek – The Next Generation
- Knight Rider
- The Young Ones
As you can see, the costume choices are endless, and Props n Frocks has a great range of 80s costumes, in stock and available for a next working day delivery option, if you need the item very quickly.