Using a colour as a theme for your fancy dress party is an easy way of getting a diverse range of costumes. A coloured theme can be chosen for a special country day where it is usual for the colours of the country’s flag as the base for costumes, or it may just be a colour that is chosen at random.
Some costumes are obviously more suited to a certain colour, for example a ladybird , or devil costume for red, and an angel for white. Morphsuits are also ideal for this type of costume theme. These come in a range of colour options, as well as specific characters.
It is also possible to wear coloured wigs, eyemasks and hats to join in the chosen colour theme and it is ideal as it suits people with all budgets.
We have split the main colours into smaller sections so take a look at the various colours (in the left navigation) that we are looking at in more costuming detail
Red, White & Blue Fancy Dress Theme Costume Ideas
The easiest way to get into the spirit of this costume theme is to purely see what costume you like the look of in one of the main colours, red, white or blue. If you do not want to dress up in an entire costume, why not wear a coloured wig, or masquerade mask. Some costumes are just known for their colour, which is what we have listed below, but of course, there will be many other costume alternatives that you can use as long as they are in the correct colour scheme.
Red, White & Blue costume Ideas:
Red Costume Ideas:
Blue Costume Ideas:
White Costume Ideas:
- Roman Togas
- Snow White
- Ghostly Bride & Groom
- Michelin Man
- Marilyn Monroe white halter neck dress
- John Travolta white 70s Suit
- White Morphsuit
- Judo Suit
- Mrs white – Cluedo Character
- Wedding Dress, or add some blood to make it red and white for a bloody bride
Try and only provide food in the required colours to keep the theme going.
What about playing some of these songs throughout your red, white and blue fancy dress event?
- Red, Red Wine UB40
- Lady in Red Chris de Burgh
- Blue Lee-ann Rimes
- Blue Monday Fats Domino
- Red Sails In The Sunset Tab Hunter
- Little Red Covert Prince
- True colours Cyndi Lauper
- 99 Red Balloons Nena
- Behind Blue Eyes The Who
- Blood Red & Forever Blue The Almighty Trigger Happy
- Blue Monday New Order
- Blue Suede Shoes Elvis Presley
- Guilty Of Being White Slayer
- Goodbye Blue Sky Pink Floyd
- Nights In White Satin Moody Blues
- White Christmas Bing Crosby
- White Wedding Billy Idol
- Blue Moon The Marcels
- White Shadows Coldplay
- The White Cliffs Of Dover Vera Lynn
- I Guess Thats Why They Call It The Blues Elton John
- Dont It Make My Brown eyes Blue Crystal Gayle
- Ruby, ruby, ruby Kaiser Chiefs
- Ruby Tuesday The Rolling Stones
- Courtesy Of The Red, white & Blue Toby Keith
- Red Dress- Sugarbabes
- White Flag – Dido
Over The Rainbow Fancy Dress Theme Costume Ideas
Although you would probably think of The Wizard Of Oz straight away, this costume theme does offer some other interesting ways of dressing up.
- Wear multi coloured clothing or one of our rainbow wigs
- Dress up as one of the characters from Rainbow, the kids television show, we have these for hire only
- Wear a leprechaun costume, associated with finding a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow
- Dress half sunny, half rainy, the weather you need for a rainbow
- Go as Noel Edmonds from The Multi Coloured Swop Shop
The Wizard of Oz Costume Ideas
Originally a childrens book (first published in 1900) it became famous as a (1939) film, now a very popular musical,
Main Characters include:
- Dorothy Dorothy wears a blue checked dress with white blouse underneath. Her dark brown hair is worn in 2 plaits and she carries a basket. She also wears red slippers. Props & Frocks stocks Dorothy costumes, wigs and shoes.
- The Cowardly Lion A lion costume, or mask with tan coloured clothing will do for this character. A licensed costume is available
- The Tin Man A difficult costume to put together at home and a licensed costume is available. A sexy ladies version is also available to purchase. Complete the look with our metallic silver face paint.
- Scarecrow Wear old tatty clothing and attach some straw. A licensed costume is available
- Glinda- Glinda is the good witch and is normally seen in a pink sparkly dress with crown
- The Wicked Witch of the West any dark witch costume, will suffice. Complete the look with green face paint and a broom
Props & Frocks also have Dorothy, Cowardly Lion, Tin Man, Wicked Witch, Glinda and Scarecrow Costumes to Hire.
This musical is based around the Wizard of Oz, the plot begins before and continues after Dorothys arrival to Oz.
- The Wicked Witch of the West See above description
- The Good Witch of the North (Glinda)
- Fiyero (the prince) any prince style costume will suffice for this character.
Use some of these songs to play during your Over The Rainbow event…
- Rainbow Eyes Rainbow
- Rainbow Television Theme Tune
- Somewhere Over The Rainbow Judy Garland
- Rainbow Elf
- Catch The Rainbow Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow
- The Rainbow Connection Jason Mraz / Kenny Loggins, plus others
- She Talks To Rainbows The Ramones
- Rainbow In the Dark Ronnie James Dio
Black & White Costume Theme
This is one of those fancy dress themes where you can do as much, or as little, as you want. If dressing up is just not for you, why not just wear normal clothing in the stated colours? Want to be more adventurous? Add a black or white wig, hat, glasses, eyelashes or masquerade eye mask. And for those of you who really want to go the whole hog why not wear a full fancy dress costume that has a black and white colour?
Some of our black & white fancy dress ideas are
Black and White is such a glamorous costume theme and it will encourage your guests to join in. Theme your event with balloons.