Roald Dahl Day is celebrated annually in many UK schools on September 13th and it is a great opportunity to introduce children to the wonderful world he created in his many children’s books.
If you have a great idea that you’d like to pass on to other people looking for costume inspiration for this dressing up theme, please drop us a line in the comment section below.
Hopefully, we will be able to give you some easy costume ideas to dress up as a Roald Dahl Book character…
The BFG (Big Friendly Giant)
- BFG -David Walliams recently played the part of the BFG and he wore a cream polo shirt, tatty brown waistcoat, too big trousers held up by a belt. He also had rather large ears (to hear the dreams), a bald head with grey tufts of hair on either side.
- Sophie – Wears a pink dress and has long, blonde hair
- Queen of England – Wear a crown and a cape
- Monkeys – we stock a great monkey face bop mask, just wear brown top and trousers and add one of our brown tails to create the look
- Mr Twit – Wear a black full beard and put bits of food like cornflakes in it. Wear clothes that are messed up and look dirty
- Mrs Twit – wears a green dress and is quite plump, so maybe add a santa belly, or a cushion, underneath for more padding if necessary.She uses a walking cane that is a little short for her so you may need to cut one down a bit.
- Matilda – wears a blue dress and has brown hair with a red headband. Carry a pile of books
- Mrs Wormwood – blonde hair with dark roots and wears very heavy make-up. She is a very large lady so again, some padding may be required.
- Miss Trunchbull – school bullying headmistress. Wear a dark suit or dress with a belt. Large lady so padding may be necessary. Hair should be pulled severely off the face in a bun at the back. Carry a cane.
- Amanda Thripp – wears school uniform and her hair in pigtails
James & The Giant Peach
- James – Wear a white shirt with a tie and a blazer. Our Evacuee boy costume is ideal
- The Old Man – a wizard who makes the magic happen. Carry a bag full of magical gems, brightly coloured sweets would look quite good.
- Insects – These include ladybirds, caterpillars, worms and spiders. Ladybirds are easy as we stock ladybird wings and kids costumes. For spiders, dress all in black and add 2 x pairs of legs to each side. These can be made by stuffing black ladies tights. For caterpillars, dress all in green and fix some shoes all down the sides. Make the shoes from thin cardboard so they are not too heavy.
- Cloud Men – Dress all in white,including hair and use white facepaint to cover your face.
Charlie & The Chocolate Factory – one of the easiest of books to dress up as! Lots of costumes are available on the market to purchase.
- Charlie Bucket – Charlie comes from a poor family so one of our Victorian boy, or urchin costumes would work quite well, or wear school trousers, or shorts with an old shirt
- Golden Ticket – why not create the Golden Ticket from thin cardboard. Yes, it will take time, and imagination but will certainly be a bit different!
- Grandpa Joe – wear a dark suit, grey hair
- Veruca Salt – Wears frilly, girly clothes with hair in a bow
- Mike Teavee – Dress in a cowboy costume and have lots of guns on holsters
- Violet Beauregarde – pretend to chew chewing gum all the time, although you may get an aching jaw! Our Violet dress is ideal for this character. You can also paint your face purple and get a purple wig to create the final look.
- Augustus Gloop – wear a red and white striped top and as he is a large boy use padding if necessary.
- Willy Wonka – We stock a Factory Owner costume that is ideal for this character, alternatively, wear a top hat and brightly coloured clothes with a bow tie
- Oompa Loompa – We stock a Factory Worker costume that is ideal for this character. Alternatively wear a brown top with white trousers. Use orange facepaint and a green wig to complete the look.
- Grandmamma – A large 86 year old, Norwegian lady who smokes cigars
- The Grand High Witch – A nasty witch, wear dark clothes, witch nose with pink nostrils. Wear gloves or make some claws that stick on your fingernails. Wear a wig as witches, as according to Grandmamma are always bald!
- The Other Witches – just use standard witch costumes for any of these characters.
- Mice – Bruno Jenkins and the witches are turned into mice. Use our Mouse Face Bop, grey tail and grey clothing for this outfit
- Nurse & Doctor – take care of Granmamma when she is ill. Look at our Doctors & Nurses accessories to put together your outfits.
- Cooks – an easy costume to put together,just wear one of our Cook hats
Fantastic Mr Fox
- Mr Fox – We do stock a kids Fox costume, the mask is not fantastic but does the job. We also stock fox overhead masks which added to a jacket and trousers gives a good look. Add a brown tail for the full effect.
- Other Animals: Include Badgers, rats, weasels, rabbits (the easiest as we stock rabbit ears etc.), squirrels
- Famers – wear a cloth cap and tweeds to create a farmer look.
Danny, Champion Of The World
- Danny – wear our Urchin costume or Victorian boy costume as Danny is poor
- Doc Spencer – wear a doctor’s costume for this character
- Dad – wear overalls that he would wear working in the garage.
George’s Marvellous Medicine
- Grandma – Described as having ‘wicked’ eyes and brown teeth! She enjoys eating insects, so try and find some joke ones to ‘eat’. Wear a grey wig and granny glasses and an old fashioned dress – our girl’s evacuee costume is ideal.
- Farms Animals. This book has lots of farm animals including hens, pigs, cows, sheep, pony’s and goats. We stock a wide range of animal face bop masks which are great for children to wear as they do not cover the entire face and allow good visibility. We also stock a great range of farm animals masks
- George – Wear blue trousers and a red top. He has blonde hair. Fill a plastic bottle with coloured water and stick a label on the outside ‘George’s Marvellous Medicine’
The Magic Finger
- Lucy – A little girl who has a ‘magic finger’ – wear your normal clothes and paint your finger a different colour with our body make-up – an easy option! Lucy has blonde hair and is seen wearing either a red or blue top with blue trousers.
- Mrs Winter – She is turned into a cat, so you could wear a ladies style dress with a cat’s mask
- Ducks – wear one of our Duck Masks
Charlie, And The Great Glass Elevator – Sequel to Charlie &The Chocolate Factory
- Charlie, as above
- Grandpa Joe, as above
- Willy Wonka, as above
- Knids – brown/green shapeless creatures with eyes (a bit like eggs). Get this effect either with papier mache, or large clothing that is stuffed to get the look.
- George, Josphine (other grandparents) become babies – so dress up as a baby
- Grandma Georgina – Pilgrim costume
- Oompa Loompas, as above
- Mr Hoppy – wear shirt, waistcoat and trousers with round glasses
- Mrs Silver – wear a lilac dress with white pinny, carry a tortoise
The Enormous Crocodille
- Elephant – we stock elephant overhead masks and face bops
- RAF pilots
- Gremlins – You will need to put horns on your head and wear large boots. Paint your face green, orange or yellow.
- Wear an urchin or Victorian Schoolboy costume for this book which is acually based on Roald Dahl’s early life.
The Giraffe and The Pelly & Me
- Billy – Wear an urchin or Victorian Schoolboy costume
- Animals characters include a Giraffe, a Pelican and a Monkey – we do stock Monkey masks
- Burglar – wear a striped black and white top, eyemask and black trousers
- Policeman – we stock many police accessories that you can wear with a school shirt and trousers
The Vicar of Nibbleswick
- Reverend Robert Lee – wear one of our Vicar’s kits