Today’s fancy dress theme suggestion is ‘Comedy’. Now we have choosen this costume theme today as we celebrate the birth
of one of the great modern comedians – Billy Connolly. Born in 1942, Billy’s troubled early life has been well documented, but he moved from welding ships in the Glasgow docks through being a folk-singer with ‘The Humblebums’ (Gerry Rafferty of ‘Baker Street’ fame was a member) to the internationally renowned comedian and actor we know today.
Having a theme just based on Billy Connolly, even we admit, would be quite difficult, so you could look at this theme in a couple of different ways.
You could attend the party wearing a funny of silly or joke costume (although most fancy dress costumes are generally guaranteed to raise a laugh, some are designed to be classed as a ‘novelty item’ from the off). At Props n Frocks we stock a large range of novelty fancy dress costumes, although please be warned some of them are not suitable for a party where children would be attending!
And then you can start to look at some of our famous comedians. Let’s take a look at just a few to give you some ideas…
- Laurel & Hardy – an easy costume to put together, you may need to purchase a bowler hat and moustache
- Charlie Chaplin – again a dark suit is required and we stock bowler hats, moustaches and canes to get the finished look
- Dawn French – easiest to potray her as The Vicar of Dibley, although her partnership with Jennifer Saunders will also give you some brilliant ideas.
- Jennifer Saunders, best known, without Dawn French as Edina in Absolutely Fabulous
- Groucho Marx
- Jim Carrey – dress up as one of his famous characters
Please drop us a line if you have a fantastic comedy idea as this will help others.