Today we take a look at some popular couple costumes. We are constantly asked for ideas for couples when they come into our fancy dress shop. It can be difficult getting 2 people, of different sizes both in costumes that they like and fits both of them.
We spent much of last week bemoaning the lack of female costumes for some types of themes and events. Today we are on safer ground as the birthday of the Egyptian actor and sometime heart-throb Omar Sharif gives us a chance to celebrate ‘Romantic Couples’. Arguably Sharif’s breakthrough role was in Dr Zhivago (1965), the film that also helped launch the career of Julie Christie. (Remember that line in the Kinks’ ‘Waterloo Sunset’ about ‘Terry and Julie’? It referenced Miss Christie and Terence Stamp, another star of the day). It could also be said the TV adaptation of the Zhivago story in 2002 helped rising starlet Keira Knightley upward and onward to better things – Pirates of the Caribbean, for example.
Meanwhile, back in Britain, on this date in 1912, a certain ship was leaving Southampton on a fateful voyage which would give rise to one of the biggest blockbuster films and love stories of all time, namely Titanic.
So, let have a look at some popular costume ideas for couples…
- Morticia & Gomez Addams – you could also use some of the other characters
- Bill & Ben
- Noddy & Big Ears
- Batman & Robin – yes, we do supply female Robin costumes
- Gangster & his moll – take a look at our great 20s flapper dresses
- Priest & Nun – you can also use other religious costumes
- Doctor & Nurse
- Wizard & Witch
- Devil & Angel
- Belly Dancer & Arab
- Cowboy & Indian (or Saloon Girl etc…)
- Marge & Homer Simpson
- Fred & Wilma Flintstone
- Betty & Barney Rubble
- Trinity & Neo – Matrix costumes
- 2 man costumes – choose from cow, horse, camel – toss a coin for who is the back end!
- Knight & Medieval Damsel
- Convict & Police Woman
It may also be worth your time looking at this other blog that we wrote on some other romantic couple costume ideas